Total Pageviews

Monday, August 5, 2013

Nintendo Makes Games, Not Art According to Iwata - IGN

Nintendo Makes Games, Not Art According to Iwata - IGN
This is my take--mobile update:

This is not unprecedented posturing for Nintendo. Mr. Iwata makes some excellent points. Games should have their audiences in mind when they are crafted. They should be whole experiences from the start.  One should not be saddled with a creators "art work" without substance. Now, if you have read any of my previous posts, then you have observed me recalling games as "works of art." But, I have wholeheartedly admitted this is to within reason. A game is solely by being an Ernest project of a designers intention a work of art. Now, whether or not that work may appeal to you or resonate with you as artistic or entertaining is up to individual tastes. But, I will say that every time I listen in on Nintendo's strategies or approach to game design, I keep hoping that it rub's off on the rest of the industry. I mean. Come on. How hard is it to understand that basic game design should be tuned to some targeted audience and should be attempting to deliver to them, a whole experience, not a freemium one, padded with fluff and supplemented with loads 'o' DLC.Nintendo gets it. Whether or not they get it to an extreme degree, in denying the inherent artistic integrity of their work, is another inquiry for another post.

Thanks for reading. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment